Tuesday, October 23, 2012

ORC Lesson Plan



ORC Lesson Plan



The grade level I chose for my lesson plan is first grade. The subject area I'm focusing on for my lesson plan is Mathematics. I specifically chose this subject area not only because I love Math but also because it's important and we use it in our every day life. It's better to learn Math while you're young so that way as you grow older you learn and discover more. This lesson plan is designed to teach first grade students subtract. They will be using pictures and food to help discover the answer to either the addition or subtraction problem they will be given.

The Common Core Standard designed for this lesson are:
*Represent addition and subtraction with objects, fingers, mental images, drawings, sounds (e.g., claps), acting out situations, verbal explanations, expressions, or equations.

* Solve addition and subtraction word problems, and add and subtract within 10, e.g., by using objects or drawings to represent the problem


By using different objects such as food in this lesson plan, the students will be able to subtract not only as a group but individually as well. This gives them a visual representation of how adding and subtracting work.


In my first grade classroom I'd implement this lesson plan during group time. I would teach this lesson to the group at first and allow each student to come up and demonstrate a different example on their own. After every or most of the students grasp the concept of how to subtract I'll allow them to get into small groups and give each group a problem to work out together. The problem that may come about with implementing this would be the group work. After the group work. Making sure each student understands what I'm asking and making sure they're working together as a group. The challenging part with these specific students would be working independently on their own solving subtraction problems with objects and visual pictures.

Lesson plan: http://illuminations.nctm.org/LessonDetail.aspx?ID=L117





No comments:

Post a Comment